What do Councillors do?
Councillors have three main components to their work.
1. Decision making – Through meetings and attending committees with other elected members, councillors decide which activities to support, where money should be spent, what services should be delivered and what policies should be implemented.
2. Monitoring – Councillors make sure that their decisions lead to efficient and effective services by keeping an eye on how well things are working.
3. Getting involved locally – As local representatives, councillors have responsibilities towards their constituents and local organisations. These responsibilities and duties often depend on what the councillor wants to achieve and how much time is available, and may include:
• Going to meetings of local organisations such as tenants’ associations.
• Going to meetings of bodies affecting the wider community.
• Taking up issues on behalf of members of the public.
• Running a surgery for residents to bring up issues.
• Meeting with individual residents in their own homes.
Contact the Clerk at email@example.com to find out more about the role of a Councillor at Hockley Heath Parish Council. WALC also has a brief guide on the Parish Council elections and the role of Councillors as follows: https://www.walc.org.uk/information/become-a-councillor
The Parish Council of Hockley Heath has been able to take decisions to improve the village, here are just a few of the actions taken:
– extra security at the recreation ground- resurfacing areas of the park car park
– purchasing new play equipment for children and teenagers – planting daffodils in the recreation ground
– working with SMBC to obtain speed monitoring cameras- providing grants to community groups
– making repairs and internal decorations to the Pavilion- obtaining grants to purchase a defibrillator
– approving the installation of broadband in the Pavilion- working with SMBC to improve the local environment
– working with the Gardening Club, Residents’ Association and the Hockley Heath Social Club to enhance the village through tree planting and Christmas lighting
Local Parish Councillors are needed to continue making decisions on how the precept is spent within Hockley Heath to improve the village for all residents. All training will be provided for elected Councillors. Prospective candidates must submit nomination papers to SMBC between 26th March and 3 April 2019.