The Parish Council elections are fast approaching. There are 5 Councillor seats on Hockley Heath Parish Council; all will be available for interested candidates. If 5 candidates or less stand then there will be an uncontested election with all candidates being automatically elected without a vote. If 6 candidates or more stand then there will be an election on 2nd May 2019.
CAN YOU STAND FOR ELECTION?
To be eligible to stand as a candidate at a Parish Council election in England you must:
- be at least 18 years old
- be a British citizen, Commonwealth citizen or a citizen of any member state of the European Union
- be at least one of the following four qualifications
- you are, and will continue to be, registered as a local government elector in the parish in which in which you wish to stand
- you have occupied as owner or tenant any land or other premises in the parish area during the last 12 months
- your main or only place of work during the last 12 months is in the parish area in which you would like to stand.
- you have lived in the parish, or within three miles of it, during the whole of the previous 12 months
To view the rules of qualification and disqualification of candidature please click on the link below:
If you would like to stand as a Councillor for Hockley Heath Parish Council you will need to submit nomination papers to SMBC. All candidates must be proposed and seconded by 2 residents within the Parish, listed on the Electoral Register for Hockley Heath. The proposer and seconder will need to insert their elector number and polling district on the candidate’s nomination papers. Elector numbers and polling district numbers can be obtained from the Clerk to Hockley Heath Parish Council, or by visiting the library at The Core, Solihull, where the Register of Electors can be viewed.
Prospective candidates can obtain nomination forms from the Council House in Solihull or by using the link below (the forms can be printed):
The important dates to to remember are:
Notice of election – 25th March 2019
Submission of nomination papers – 26th March – 3 April 2019
Closing date for nomination papers – Wednesday 3rd April 2019, 4 pm. Nomination papers received after 4 pm on 3rd April 2019 will be rejected.
Withdrawal of nomination – Wednesday 3rd April, 4 pm.
All nomination papers must be hand-delivered to Electoral Services, Council House, Manor Square, Solihull, B91 3QB.
For more information on Parish Council elections please visit SMBC’s website: