Planning Applications and how to comment on them…

Let’s be honest, the only time most of us have any dealings with planning is when the neighbours want to build and extension, or a new residential development is planned in the village.  Planning is a very sensitive issue – especially when we feel that our lives will be negatively affected.  It is worth mentioning that not all planning is ‘bad’ planning.

Below we highlight links to various documents which may help you to deal with planning matters.  If you are confused or concerned, it maybe that one or more of these documents will be able to help.  Don’t forget that you can always call the planning case officer and ask questions for clarification of points.  Should you wish to support or object to a planning application, make sure that you quote policy numbers from the Local Plan to support your stance, and be focused on your issues.

What is NOT material consideration:

Devaluation of property
Loss of private view
Breach of a restrictive covenant
Loss of business (from competition etc.)
Disturbance caused by construction
Who the applicant or intended occupant is

What IS material consideration:

Overlooking / loss of privacy
Loss of light / overshadowing
Effect on listed buildings and conservation areas
Highways safety
Layout and density of building
Design / appearance / materials
Government Policy
Disabled persons access
Previous planning decisions (including appeal decisions)
Nature Conservation

How to respond to Planning Applications: an 8 step guide – this is produced by Campaign to Protect Rural England and National Association of Local Councils.   It gives a clear guide as to what to comment on / what not to comment on and how to word your comments for best effect.

National Planning Policy Framework: sets out the Governments planning policies and how they are expected to be applied.  It provides the framework within which local people and their accountable councils can produce their own local and neighbourhood plans.

Do you need permission? What is permitted development?  These questions are clearly answered on the Planning Portal website.  On this website you can click on the interactive property – detached house / terrace / flat/shop and this takes you to a quick guide to permitted development.  On the right hand side of the page are links to common projects undertaken.